Friday, October 30, 2009

THIS IS IT (2009)

Now in theatres, THIS IS IT is a documentary about the great Michael Jackson himself. It features Jackson's life from April until June of 2009 while he prepared for his 50 sold-out shows at London's O2 Arena. The film is a combination of interview and rehearsal footage, and also includes some backstage footage. Kenny Ortega, well known as director of High School Musical 1, 2, and 3, directed the film.

When I saw the movie Thursday night, I was not expecting much. I went in late, and the theatre had about six other people in it. I'm not a big Michael Jackson fan myself, but I enjoy his music and I definitely think he had some real talent. Unfortunately, within five minutes I was bored out of my mind.

Rehearsals are not meant to be watched, and that's why they're rehearsals. Constant stopping, nagging about minor details, and repetition of the same thing over and over is all rehearsing is about. No one wants to see that in a movie. The interviews were a litle more entertaining, and it did leave me with a little better impression of Jackson as a person. Everyone he worked with seemed to have something good to say about him. But in the end, I left the show early asking myself why I wasted the seven dollars.

My Grade: C-

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Caroline! I'm dying to see this. ("dying"--wrong word choice!) I agree that watching someone rehearse is like watching paint dry--even if it's MJ!

    ReplyDelete