Saturday, December 5, 2009

SHATTERED GLASS (2003)


I recently watched SHATTERED GLASS in a class at school. The 2003 documentary was directed and written by Billy Ray, and it is a true story about a journalist who is caught for fabricating 27 of his 41 published articles for the "The New Republic" magazine. Click here to read some of those articles.

The documentary featured Hayden Christensen as Stephen Glass. It depicts him as a young and seemingly talented journalist rising to fame. After working at the magazing for three years, his editors start to notice some made-up sources, quotes, and eventually whole stories. It shows his career being shatterd and his whole life crumbling into pieces.

I found the film to be quite interesting actually, and a big step into the reality of journalism. The shocking tale of Glass' unusual career came to me as a huge surprise. I never thought that anyone at a professional job for a popular magazine could even think of fabricating their stories, let alone more than half of them.

One thing about SHATTERED GLASS that bothered me was the actors. Almost every one of them was annoying and their personalities were extremely irritating. I especially couldn't stand the character of Stephen Glass. The whole time i just wanted to say, "You are an idiot."

My Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment